Do you want to teach in Africa? With Teacherhorizons you can browse international schools and check out the latest teaching vacancies in Africa and worldwide. Africa as a teaching destination does not attract as many teachers as South America or Asia, as it has far fewer international schools. However there is a desperate shortage of teachers in many parts of sub-Saharan Africa, so qualified teachers will find their skills are greatly appreciated.
Number of countries: 54
Number of international schools: 277
Number of IB schools: 70
Number of current vacancies: 67
Latest teaching jobs in Africa
- Secondary Art Teacher (January start), Cairo
- Junior School Computer Science Specialist (Immediate start), Cairo
- Junior & Senior School Music Specialist (January start), Cairo
- DP Physics Teacher (french speaker), Cairo
- DP Chemistry Teacher (french speaker), Cairo
- DP Biology Teacher (french speaker), Cairo
- SEN Coordinator (immediate start), Cairo
- Grade 4 French Homeroom Teacher (immediate start), Cairo
- Upper School Math Teacher (immediate start), Casablanca
- KS1 Teacher (Immediate start), Kampala
Living in Africa
Africa is a vast and majestic continent with a wide variety of locations for the expat to choose from. Teachers from all over the world are attracted to Africa because of its warm-hearted people and its dramatic scenery, and the chance to make a difference in developing countries. You could teach in Egypt, the birthplace of a fascinating civilization and home to the spectacular pyramids. You might want to teach in South Africa, and enjoy the safari and diving opportunities. Or you could teach in Kenya, which is relatively well-developed and offers a great quality of life. In general, living in Africa, you will witness varying degrees of inequality, corruption and underdeveloped infrastructure. Moving to Africa may be a challenge, but it can be a richly rewarding experience. For more information on teaching abroad in Africa, click on the country you're interested in to find out more about cost of living, safety, and visa and healthcare requirements.
Popular countries to teach in Africa
These are some of the most popular teaching destinations in Africa. Click on a country to explore schools and teaching jobs there.
- South Africa