China is a popular teaching destination and has a good number of reputable international schools. Teacherhorizons partner with some of the best international schools in China and we have assisted numerous teachers in their search for jobs there.
Latest teaching jobs in China
- Art Teacher (immediate start), Xi'an
- Drama Teacher (immediate start), Xi'an
- Science Teacher (Immediate start), Yantai
- Head of 6th Form / Careers, Chengdu
- University and Careers Counsellor, Beijing
- Drama Pre-School Teacher (2 - 6 years) (January start), Shanghai
- Nursery Teacher (2 years old), Beijing
- Nursery Teacher (3-4 years) (immediate start), Shanghai
- Playgroup Teacher (6 - 36 months) (January start), Shanghai
- Pre-School Teacher (2 - 6 years) (January start), Shanghai
Living in China
China is a fascinating place to live and work. As the world's most populous country, and the second-largest country in Asia, it's no surprise that China is enormously diverse in climate and culture. The North tends to be cooler and drier, while the South has a warm, tropical climate. The 'Big Three' cities, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, claim the largest expat communities and boast cosmopolitan eating and shopping options. In smaller towns, the regional diversity is more obvious and the rich cultural heritage shines through.
Visas and Medical
In order to obtain a working visa to teach English in China, you will usually need to be a native English speaker, have a degree, and two years' teaching experience. The age limit is generally 24-65 for males, and 24-55 for females, although these requirements are somewhat flexible. See http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/work.htm for more information. Public healthcare is available in China, although the quality is variable. Most expats choose to use private health insurance. Many international schools offer private health insurance as part of their benefits package.
Top schools in China*
Click the schools below to read about some of the best schools in China. If your school isn't listed, click here to request a profile page.
- British School of Guangzhou
- Julia Gabriel Centre, Shanghai
- Oujing International Kindergarten, Zhejiang
- International School of Beijing
- Suzhou Singapore International School
- Yew Chung International School Shanghai
- School of the Nations, Macau
- Dulwich College Suzhou
- Oxford International College of Changzhou
- Britannica International School Shanghai